Beating the Afternoon Slump [6 Hacks]
Beating the Afternoon Slump
SUPERHUMAN SCORE: 8.38
Most people lose 2-3 hours daily to the afternoon slump.
But it doesn't have to be that way.
In every edition of System Sunday, I assess the featured system across three superhuman dimensions: impact, setup, and maintenance.
Unlike your typical review, I focus on factors that influence personal growth. Get to know the evaluation system.
Imagine reclaiming 14+ hours weekly of high energy.
- Boost productivity
- Deepen relationships
- Get in the best shape of your life
6 tips to beat the slump…
1) Follow Japan's 80% Rule
“Eat until you're only 80% full.”
Overeating makes the body divert blood & energy to digestion (causing drowsiness).
Nobody has time for a food coma. So, at lunch:
- Prioritize nutritious foods
- Eat slowly to calibrate fullness
- Stop eating at 80%
2) Stay Hydrated
Your brain is 73% water. Dehydration impairs decision-making and causes low energy. So give your brain the water it deserves:
- Drink 0.5-1 fl oz per lb of bodyweight
- Carry a water flask everywhere you go
Hydrate, think clearly, keep that energy.
3) Use a Standing Desk
Our ancestors used to hunt mammoths.
Now we sit at desks for 8 hours every day. Then we watch TV for another 3 hours (on average). Humans aren't built for this.
Simply, we're wired to be alert when standing.
87% of those who use a standing desk report increased energy. I use Fully Jarvis, but there are less expensive options (including desktop conversions).
Get a standing desk, take walking meetings, move your body daily.
4) Optimize Your Work Environment
Activate your 5 senses:
- 👂 Score your afternoon with music (I like Hans Zimmer)
- 👁️ Hide bad triggers (phone)
- 👃 Use an aromatherapy diffuser (peppermint & lemon promote focus)
- 👋 Set a cool room temp for alertness (69-72°)
- 👅 Hydrate; stock healthy snacks
5) Set a Pomodoro Timer
Recenter your focus after lunch with a Pomodoro timer.
I like Focus To-Do, a Chrome extension. Set a timer in the app for 25 mins on, 5 mins off.
25 mins of pure focus is science-backed. It's cognitively challenging but feels attainable.
Take a deep dive into Pomodoro Technique in this past newsletter.
6) Power Nap (if you WFH)
Einstein. Thatcher. da Vinci.
All famous nappers.
Take a midday power nap. You'll get two days of energy in one.
Effective napping is two-fold:
- Length: Naps >30 mins might put you in REM, inducing sleep inertia (grogginess)
- Time of day: Napping past 3 pm often hurts evening sleep (prioritize 7+ hours nightly). Find your sweet spot of length and time.
“But Ben, what if I want a lazy afternoon?”
Go for it, my friend!
These are tips for your high-voltage days. The days when you want (or need) to avoid the afternoon slump.
BRINGING IT HOME
TL;DR Beat the Afternoon Slump:
- Follow the 80% Eating Rule
- Stay hydrated
- Use a standing desk
- Activate your 5 senses
- Set a Pomodoro timer
- Take a 20-min power nap (if you WFH)
Protect that energy.
All systems go,
All systems go,
P.S. Special announcement:
By popular demand, I've built a digital course for online creators. Access growth systems for LinkedIn, Twitter, IG, and Newsletter. Plus, learn the top creator monetization strategies.
- Presale is happening now (40% off)
- Course launches February 20th (full price)