Negotiation [‘I FORESAW IT’ Framework]
[‘I FORESAW IT’ Framework]
SUPERHUMAN SCORE: 8.13
Negotiation is one of the highest ROI skills.
- Earn more (job salary, client deals)
- Save more (home or car purchases)
- Win more (controlling the TV remote)
In every edition of System Sunday, I assess the featured system across three superhuman dimensions: impact, setup, and maintenance.
Unlike your typical review, I focus on factors that influence personal growth. Get to know the evaluation system.
Use the ‘I FORESAW IT’ Framework to plan for your next big negotiation (Source: Professor Seth Freeman).
Preparation like this will give you confidence and influence.
Onwards to the framework.
To get ready for your negotiation, consider the following ‘I FORESAW IT’ checklist:
- What do I want here?
- What does the other side want? (Pro tip: Consider the interests of each key stakeholder on the other side.)
- What are the common interests?
FACTUAL & FINANCIAL RESEARCH
- What are market prices?
- What do experts say?
- What are cultural norms and legal constraints?
- Brainstorm possible deal terms (list 6+ creative options).
- How can I be hard on the problem and soft on the person?
- How can I set the right tone from the start?
- Roleplay with friends or family.
EMPATHY & ETHICS
- How do things look from the other side?
- How do they fit into their organization?
- What are the unique challenges of their role?
SETTING & SCHEDULING
- Where and when will you negotiate?
- Should negotiations be held in private or public?
- What, if any, deadline will you face?
ALTERNATIVES TO AGREEMENT
- What will you do if there’s no deal?
- Rank your alternative options.
- Who can help?
- Whose agreement must I win?
- Who might be a decision-maker outside of view? (Spouse, boss, etc.)
- What are the objective benchmarks (Ex: Kelly Blue Book value)? These let you say, “Don't take my word for it; let's turn to something we both trust.”
TOPICS, TARGETS, & TRADEOFFS
- Topics (List agenda items like salary, hours, vacation time, etc.)
- Targets (For each topic, write down your best target and walk away target)
- Tradeoffs (Prioritize your targets so you’re prepared if you need to make tradeoffs)
Want to dive deeper into negotiation?
2 books I recommend:
- Great Courses: The Art of Negotiating the Best Deal (Audible) by Seth Freeman
- Never Split the Difference by Chris Voss
Also, here are 8 more negotiation tips from a popular LinkedIn post I wrote.
BRINGING IT HOME
As the philosopher and strategist Sun Tzu once said, “Every battle is won before it's ever fought.”
So go forth, armed with knowledge and confidence, and negotiate your way to whatever you want.
All systems go,
2 MORE WAYS I CAN HELP YOU
Creator Method [Digital Course]: A proven system for building a 100K+ audience and 6-figure online business. Accelerate your results with this self-paced course. Get instant access.
1:1 Coaching: Book a working session with me. 1-on-1 coaching is available for both business and personal growth topics. Let’s win together 🏅