Mental Toughness [1-Min Cold Shower]
[1-Min Cold Shower]
SUPERHUMAN SCORE: 8.65
In 60 seconds, you’ll get a brutally-effective habit for mental toughness.
It’s inspired by Wim “The Iceman” Hof.
I call it Cold Shower Therapy.
First, why cold-water exposure?
- Reduce stress levels
- Improve metabolic rate for weight loss
- Wake up fast, feel ON
INTRODUCING 1-MINUTE COLD SHOWER
Take a regular shower and finish the last 1 minute with cold water. Two optional products to support your habit:
- Use a shower timer. That way, you can focus on your breath rather than counting the minute.
- Try sitting on the floor or upgrading to a portable shower bench. Again, this helps you focus on your breathing (rather than standing) under cold water.
Disclaimer: I’m not a doctor and don’t play one on the internet. Please consult a medical professional (as always) before beginning any new health regimen.
In every edition of All Systems Go, I assess the featured product across four superhuman dimensions: impact, setup, maintenance, and aesthetics.
Unlike your typical product review, I focus on factors that influence personal growth. Get to know the evaluation system.
1-minute cold showers have been a game-changer for managing my energy.
It’s the most potent tool I’ve found for waking up in the morning.
You’ll eliminate grogginess and activate your brain.
- Begin with a standard shower
- Finish with cold water during the last 1-2 mins. You can start with 30 seconds and work your way up.
- Focus on breathing
- Learn mind over matter.
Stepping under cold water sucks the first few times.
But around habit Day 4, it gets easier.
Not only does it get easier, but you’ll look forward to it. The after-buzz of a cold shower is addictive.
The two optional products I recommend (timer and bench) hit the mark for aesthetics. Minimalist and modern.
But don’t let not having these stop you from getting started.
BRINGING IT HOME
That’s a tiny but mighty (and free!) habit for building mental toughness.
If you can train yourself to breathe under a cold shower, you’ll be ready to breathe in high-stake moments.
Whether to sink a putt on the 18th hole or to deliver a best man’s speech…
You won’t need to rise to the occasion because preparation is part of your daily equation.
All systems go,
P.S. If you’re enjoying the free newsletter, it’d mean the world to me if you share it with others. System Sunday just launched, and every single referral helps. Thank you!
- Share System Sunday on Twitter , LinkedIn, Facebook, or via email .
- Or, share by copying and pasting the link: https://systemsunday.com/all-systems-go