Reducing Social Media Use [One Sec]
Reducing Social Media Use
SUPERHUMAN SCORE: 9.15
Americans check their phones 96 times daily, with 18-24-year-olds checking their phone twice as much.
This is problematic because task switching (like checking your phone) leaves an “attention residue.”
The impact? It’ll take about 22 minutes for your full attention to be restored.
So, what can you do about it?
Start by minimizing the biggest attention vampire: checking social media.
Fortunately, there’s an app for that.
INTRODUCING ONE SEC
One Sec (iOS) is a mobile app that will help you stop unconsciously checking social media. Set an intervention pause (up to 20s) or block apps entirely during a given time window. The friction of a 20s delay is often enough to put the phone back in your pocket.
One Sec costs $3.99 monthly or $14.99 annually.
The Android version is currently being developed and will be in beta soon. Sign up to be notified.
In the meantime, Stay Focused looks like a solid Android alternative. Note: It may be more block-oriented, rather than delay-oriented (like One Sec).
In every edition of All Systems Go, I assess the featured product across four superhuman dimensions: impact, setup, maintenance, and aesthetics.
Unlike your typical product review, I focus on factors that influence personal growth. Get to know the evaluation system.
Checking your phone 100+ times per day is NOT only destroying your happiness, but your ability to get shit done.
Social media can be an excellent tool for learning. But, like anything, approach it with moderation.
One Sec helped me curb *unconscious* phone use—instantly.
Setup is easy:
- Download One Sec (iOS).
- Sign up for the monthly or annual plan.
- Follow the in-app instructions to configure One Sec with Apple Shortcuts.
- Determine which apps you’d like to limit (you can also program specific websites).
- Set intervention boosters (like pause duration or whether you want to input an intention for using a time-wasting app).
Set it and forget it (until you open a distracting app).
Then One Sec will save you.
Again, the friction of a 20s delay will help you be intentional about whether you want to use the app or not.
One Sec has received strong reviews in Apple’s App Store (4.8/5 stars with 760 ratings).
I love the modern feel, as well.
BRINGING IT HOME
One Sec is an app that gives you attention, rather than stealing it.
It’s about time.
All systems go,
P.S. If you’re enjoying the free newsletter, it’d mean the world to me if you share it with others. System Sunday just launched, and every single referral helps. Thank you!
- Share System Sunday on Twitter , LinkedIn, Facebook, or via email .
- Or, share by copying and pasting the link: https://systemsunday.com/all-systems-go
- Newsletter Archive: Read past issues of All Systems Go
- Energy Dashboard: Get an under-the-hood look at my self-tracking metrics for energy management (updated weekly)
- [Quick Win] Phone Charger Challenge: Save 60 hours every year with this simple morning hack