Effective Public Speaking [Speeko]
Effective Public Speaking
SUPERHUMAN SCORE: 8.15
Written by: Ben Meer | May 29, 2022
Train your public speaking skills with Speeko, an AI-powered app that gives real-time feedback on pace, pitch, word choice, and filler words. Master the art and science of oration with interactive learning modules.
A System For
Effective Public Speaking
Freemium; $11.99 Monthly; $49.99 Annually
Most people say they fear public speaking more than dying.
So, what can you do to build your speaking confidence?
I have two tips:
1) Get repeated exposure to public speaking.
Each appearance will reduce your fear of the next.
A designated school course or Toastmasters (an international public speaking club) are excellent places to get these reps in at little to no risk.
2) Get constructive feedback on your delivery & improve.
The better you are at public speaking, the more you will enjoy it. And that, my friends, is where Speeko shines.
Speeko is an AI-powered app that coaches effective public speaking for presentations, interviews, etc.
The freemium model offers unlimited recording, basic feedback, and starter lessons. Access premium features (like advanced feedback and learning modules) by paying $11.99 monthly or $49.99 annually.
Note: The Speeko team is working on an Android version. Sign up here to be notified.
In every edition of All Systems Go, I assess the featured product across four superhuman dimensions: impact, setup, maintenance, and aesthetics.
Unlike your typical product review, I focus on factors that influence personal growth. Get to know the evaluation system.
In third grade, I played Benjamin Franklin in my school’s constitution play.
Lil’ Ben playing Big Ben—what could go wrong? As it turned out, plenty.
Standing in front of the whole school in full colonial regalia (ruffled shirt, wig, and all), I completely forgot my lines.
It wasn’t until later that I learned The Better Ben’s secret to speaking with confidence: practice.
Not sexy, but true.
Practicing in Speeko has done wonders for my development. It even helped me nail a best man’s speech at my brother’s wedding.
Get started with the free “Vocal Delivery” module.
You’ll learn best practices of:
- Breathing and projecting
- Eliminating filler words
- Avoiding being monotonous
- Using powerful pauses
- Hitting the right volume
Because we speak every day, it’s easy to build bad habits without checking in.
Whether you’re presenting to a room full of investors or just conversing one on one, practicing your speaking is a high-leverage habit that amplifies nearly everything you do.
If you upgrade to the premium version, you can continue with advanced learning modules, including:
- Great Orators (deconstructing the best of all time)
- Impromptu Speaking
- Engaging Your Audience
- Calming Your Nerves
- Body Language
- And more
Speeko has strong reviews in the Apple store (4.7/5 with 1.7k reviews).
One reservation: The app’s user experience is a tad busy, but I can forgive this because the software is powerful and bug-free.
BRINGING IT HOME
While most people think about virtual reality for gaming and movies, I’m predicting another VR use case: practicing public speaking.
Imagine being able to:
- Rehearse your presentation in a virtual room that resembles the real thing.
- Preload your speech into a teleprompter to help you master the content.
- Get immediate feedback whenever you use a filler word, such as “like” or “um.”
- Turn up the hecklers to stress test yourself.
While consumer-grade VR isn’t quite realistic enough for this yet, AI-powered technology will play a prominent role in developing the crucial life skill of public speaking. Keep an eye on this space.
For now, Speeko is the best option.
All systems go,
P.S. If you’re enjoying the free newsletter, it’d mean the world to me if you share it with others. System Sunday just launched, and every single referral helps. Thank you!
- Share System Sunday on Twitter , LinkedIn, Facebook, or via email .
- Or, share by copying and pasting the link: https://systemsunday.com/all-systems-go
- Newsletter Archive: Read past issues of All Systems Go
- Energy Dashboard: Get an under-the-hood look at my self-tracking metrics for energy management (updated weekly)
- [Quick Win] Phone Charger Challenge: Save 60 hours every year with this simple morning hack